Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pumpkin Leaves Go Missing

We have the most difficult time growing pumpkins at our house. This is the second year we’ve made the attempt. Claire is the one who loves the pumpkins. Well, that’s not true, I love them too. I usually start the little seeds out in a small pot indoors, then when the weather is warm enough I transplant the little plant out in the yard. Last year the pumpkin plant grew and flowered then someone decided to rip all the leaves off the poor plant. Needless to say, it died.

This year, I tried the same thing again. The poor little plant didn’t even get to the flowering stage. I went out this morning and the two leaves on the plant had been stripped off leaving only the stem. I’m thinking this is not a good thing for the plant. Maybe I just don’t have the gardening mojo going. Oh well, I still have some seeds left. I'll have to check if it is too late in teh season to make a go of a decent pumpkin or two for Halloween. Maybe I’ll try again. After all, last year it wasn’t until the end of July that we planted the pumpkin seed anyway and the plant grew hardily, until it was de-leafed. Maybe also if I plant more that one plant at a time, I will have better results. I am simply baffled as to why the leaves go missing on these plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. :) Lots of animals eat pumpkin leaves. I found this: http://www.gardendesk.com/2007/08/now-its-personal-waging-war-on.html Groundhogs, dogs, deer, squirrels... you can buy bags of dried blood (ew, I know) at garden stores and sprinkle it around the plants. That sometimes helps. You can also try sprinkling cayenne pepper on the leaves. Ultimately you made need to trap the critter and relocate him. Good luck!